A week of ski touring at the Burnie Glacier Chalet
Location - Burnie Glacier
The Burnie Glacier Chalet is a remote chalet at 1013m elevation in the Howson Range near Smithers (a short flight from Vancouver). If you're flying from anywhere, it's actually one of the easiest lodges to reach in BC as you don't need a car. The chalet accomodates a small group of 10 guests. Tree-line is 1400-1600m at this latitude, so we're up onto glaciated terrain quickly when the conditions permit. When it's stormy there is 600m of great tree skiing right above the hut. Click here for more information on getting here.
Prerequisites - Burnie
- Ski/snowboard skills to manage navigating crevasses and steep trees
- Good fitness to skin up at least 1000m/day
- Enjoy ski touring
Guides - Burnie
Alex Geary and Madeleine Martin-Preney
Itinerary - Burnie
Day 1: Meet at 10:00am at the Storks Nest Inn in Smithers, BC (a short flight from Vancouver, no car required). From there we will travel to the airport to fly in a helicopter to the Burnie Glacier Chalet. Some guests will be transported to the staging area closer to the chalet. After lunch we will complete some avalanche rescue training and go for a short ski tour.
Days 2-7: Ski tours in the Howson Range.
Day 8: After a short ski tour, we will fly back to Smithers for connecting flights or starting the drive home.
Burnie Glacier Chalet Dates
Group bookings on request
7 nights at 5:1 ratio
Usually needs to be booked 1-2 years in advance
Please make sure you have read through the booking conditions before making a payment. This includes completing the Waiver and Registration Form.
E-Transfer to email@example.com is the preferred method of payment, otherwise please request a link to pay using Wise (including credit card payments).
- Accomodation and food/cook at the Burnie Glacier Chalet
- Return Helicopter flight to the Burnie Glacier Chalet from Smithers, BC
- 5:1 guiding ratio with ACMG Ski/Mountain Guides
- Travel to and from Smithers, BC
- Accommodation in Smithers, BC
- Extra expenses that may be incurred due to dietary requirements
Equipment - Burnie
- Transceiver (3-antenna)
- Ski Touring Skis or Splitboard
- Personal repair kit specific to your equipment
- Ski touring boots/snowboarding boots
- Ski poles
- Personal first aid supplies
- Minimum 1L water bottle or Thermos
- Gore-tex (or equivalent) jacket
- Gore-tex (or equivalent) pants
- Puffy jacket
- Warm layers for upper and lower body adequate for below freezing temperatures and wind
- Thick gloves
- Spare gloves
- Lightweight harness
- 2 locking carabiners
- 30-40L backpack
- Ski crampons
- Skin wax