Ecuador Ski Expedition
The only place in the world you can ski on the ecuator!
Skiing in Ecuador
Volcano Cayambe in Ecuador is the only place in the world you can ski on the Equator, and a great introduction to high altitude ski mountaineering. During this trip, we will slowly build up your acclimitization by hiking and scrambling up to peaks of moderate elevation and increasing our sleeping altitude. During this period will will immerse ourselves in the local culture while summitting 3 volcanoes in the Cotapaxi area. On our final day, we will climb and ski from the summit of Volcano Cayambe (5790m)!
For those interested, you can extended your trip by 3 days to ski Volcano Chimborazo; the highest mountain in Ecuador (6263m), and the closest place on earth to the sun.
Guides - Ecuador
This trip will be co-led by Alex Geary in conjunction with local Ecuadorian Mountain Guide Benno Schlauri and Campus Adventures.
Other guides may join us depending on numbers, as local regulations require a 2:1 ratio of clients to guides on the highest volcanoes.
Prerequisites - Ecuador
- Previous ski mountaineering experience, including the use of ski crampons, boot crampons and an ice axe.
- Ability to descend steep and exposed slopes up to 40 degrees in less than ideal conditions (this may be achieved with a belay).
- Good fitness to manage long days at high altitude.
- Able to perform uphill and downhill kick-turns.
Itinerary - Ecuador
Oct. 27th to Nov. 6th 2024
Day 1 (Oct. 27th): Arrive in Quito and meet the team
Day 2: Quito city tour
Day 3-6: Hike and climb Pasochoa, Corazon and Iliniza
Day 7: Rest day visiting Otavalo's textile market
Day 8-10: Climb and ski Volcano Cayambe (5790m) and return to Quito
Day 11 (Nov. 6th): Fly home or.....
Stay for the Chimborazo Extension Nov. 6-9th:
Day 11-13: Ski Chimborazo and return to Quito
Day 14th (Nov 9th): Fly home
Please ask for a more detailed itinerary included with the information package.
Altitude - Ecuador
Previous experience at high altitude is NOT required. We understand that everyone reacts differently to high altitude and needs time to acclimatize. Our strategy is to "climb high and sleep low", with rest days built in every few days to help the body adjust. This relaxed acclimatization schedule is based on local Ecuadorian experience to give everyone the best chance of success.
Ecuador Ski Expedition Dates
Cayambe Oct. 27th to Nov. 6th 2024
11 days at 2:1 ratio
$3600 CAD (no tax)
Minimum 4 participants
Chimborazo Extension Nov. 6th-9th 2024
extra 3 days at 2:1 ratio
$ 1500 CAD (no tax)
Minimum 3 participants
Please make sure you have read through the booking conditions before making a payment. This includes completing the Waiver and Registration Form. Please enquire about the info package for more information.
E-Transfer to [email protected] is the preferred method of payment. Please contact us for alternate payment methods.
- Private transportation from Quito airport
- Transportation for the above itinerary
- Accommodation based on double hotel room or tent
- Breakfasts in Quito
- Set meal plan travelling in the mountains
- Local IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Shared accommodation in Yanacocha and Cayambe refuge
- Tents and camp service (cook, dining tent) in the Iliniza camp
- Costs for guides, cook and driver
- Entrance fees and permits
- First aid kit and radio communication
- Dinner and lunches in Quito
- Single supplement
- Climbing and ski touring equipment
- Sleeping bag and mat
- Additional costs of program changes
- Travel/medical/rescue insurance
- Tips for Ecuadorian support staff
- Skiing Chimbarazo