Learn while travelling across some of the biggest glaciers in Rogers Pass during this Glacier Travel Course !
Itinerary - Glacier Travel Course
Day 1 - Glacier theory (Zoom) starting at 9am, followed by rope-work outside in Revelstoke. Finished between 4-5pm.
Day 2 - Snow anchors and crevasse rescue practice.
Day 3 - Travel on a glacier for REAL in Rogers Pass !!
Please note: If the avalanche and weather conditions are not suitable for the above itinerary, we may alter the itinerary or adjust our objectives and location.
Skills you will learn? Glacier Travel Course
- How and when to use rope(s)
- Anticipating crevasses
- "Reading" glaciers
- Recognizing crevasses in poor light
- Travelling on a glacier in a white-out
- Snow anchors
- Arresting a crevasse fall
- Crevasse rescue techniques
Guides/Instructors - Glacier Travel Course
This course will be taught by Alex Geary or Madeleine Martin-Preney. Between them, Madeleine and Alex have thousands of days experience traveling on glaciers in both winter and summer all over the world including Canada, Alaska, Nepal, Peru, Europe and New Zealand.
Prerequisites - Glacier Travel Course
- Strong ski/snowboard skills to manage navigating crevasses and ski outs in Rogers Pass.
- Ability to climb at least 1500m vertical in a day of ski touring to access glaciated terrain.
- At least 20 days experience ski touring.
Dates and Price
Glacier Travel Course
Available on request
3 days at 6:1 ratio
$549 + 5% GST
This course is also offered as part of The Ultimate Everything Course
E-Transfer to email@example.com is the preferred method of payment, otherwise please use the button below for credit card payments. Please make sure you have read through the booking conditions and completed the waiver before making a payment.
- 3 days of guiding/instruction at 6:1 ratio
- Travel to and from Revelstoke to Rogers Pass
- Personal glacier travel equipment
- National Park Pass
- Annual Winter Permit
- Accommodation in Revelstoke
- Lift pass for RMR if required
- Transceiver (3-antenna)
- Ski touring skis or splitboard
- Personal repair kit specific to your equipment
- Ski touring boots/snowboarding boots
- Ski poles
- Personal first aid supplies
- Minimum 1L water bottle or Thermos
- Gore-tex (or equivalent) jacket
- Gore-tex (or equivalent) pants
- Puffy jacket
- Warm layers for upper and lower body adequate for below freezing temperatures and wind
- Thick gloves
- Spare gloves
- Lightweight harness (if possible otherwise climbing harness will work)
- 3 locking carabiners
- 4 non-locking carabiners
- 240cm sewn sling (or 5m of webbing)
- 5m x 6mm accessory cord
- Personal prussik
- Micro-traxion (optional)
- Tibloc (optional)
- Ice screw (between 12-22cm)
- 40L backpack