Learn how to navigate crevasses and take the lead while travelling across some of the biggest glaciers in Rogers Pass!
Location - Rogers Pass
Immerse yourself in the large glaciated terrain of Rogers Pass for 3 days and 2 nights to get the most from your time and instructors/guides.
During this course we will attempt the Youngs Peak Traverse, a high alpine glaciated route in the heart of the most heavily glaciated area of Rogers Pass. The first day we will ski up to the Asulkan Cabin and practice some skills around the cabin, where we will stay the first and second nights. The second day will be spent learning and practicing skills along with travel techniques on glaciers. The third day we will leave the Asulkan Cabin and attempt to climb Youngs Peak and ski across the Illecillewaet Névé back to our cars.
Please note: If the avalanche and weather conditions are not suitable for the above itinerary, we may alter our objectives and location.
Skills you will learn?
- How and when to use rope(s)
- Anticipating crevasses
- "Reading" glaciers
- Recognizing crevasses in poor light
- Travelling on a glacier in a white-out
- Snow anchors
- Arresting a crevasse fall
- Crevasse rescue techniques
This course will be taught by Alex Geary and Madeleine Martin-Preney.
Alex Geary is an ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide, with experience skiing and mountaineering on glaciers all over the world including Alaska, The Andes, The Himalaya, The European Alps, New Zealand, and of course Canada.
Madeleine Martin-Preney is an ACMG Ski Guide, part of the first team ever to complete a ski traverse of the Selkirk Mountains (520+km and 43,000+m elevation gain), with experience travelling on big glaciers in India, The Yukon, The European Alps and many remote parts of Canada.
- Strong ski/snowboard skills to be able to manage the ski-out from the Asulkan Hut and Illecillewaet Glacier in difficult conditions with a multi-day backpack.
- Good fitness to be able to climb 850m elevation to the Asulkan Hut with a multi-day backpack.
- At least 20 days experience ski touring.
Dates and Price
December 2nd to 4th 2019 3 days 3:1 ratio - COURSE IS FULL
E-Transfer is the preferred method of payment, otherwise please use the button below (subject to a convenience fee). Please make sure you have read through my booking conditions before making a payment.
- 2 nights Hut fees at Asulkan Cabin
- Overnight wilderness permits
- Dinners nights 1 and 2
- 3 days of guiding/instruction at 3:1 ratio
- Travel to and from Revelstoke to Rogers Pass
- Breakfasts and lunches
- Personal glacier travel equipment
- National Park Pass
- Annual Winter Permit
- Accommodation in Revelstoke
- Ski touring skis or splitboard
- Personal repair kit specific to your equipment
- Ski touring boots/snowboarding boots
- Ski poles
- Personal first aid supplies
- Minimum 1L water bottle or Thermos (no bladders!!)
- Gore-tex (or equivalent) jacket
- Gore-tex (or equivalent) pants
- Puffy jacket
- Warm layers for upper and lower body adequate for below freezing temperatures and wind
- Socks x 2
- Thick gloves
- Spare gloves
- Lightweight harness (if possible otherwise climbing harness will work)
- 3 locking carabiners
- 4 non-locking carabiners
- 240cm sewn sling (or 5m of webbing)
- 5m x 6mm accessory cord
- Personal prussik
- Micro-traxion (optional)
- tibloc (optional)
- Ice screw (between 12-22cm)
- Sleeping Bag (at least +1 deg C)
- Hut booties (optional)
- 60L backpack
- 2 x breakfasts
- 3 x lunches/snacks